Cairns Regional Council
(Material Recovery Facility Project )
Cairns Regional Council sought to establish a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) on the north eastern portion of the site with an approximate area of 2,400m2 and maximum height of 8m. A new shed was be constructed to house the Material Recovery Facility to allow for the continued recycling operations during commissioning of the MRF to save costs associated with the transport and processing of recycled materials during the build, as well as alleviate the container refund scheme (CRS) revenue.
Urban Sync was engaged to act on behalf of Cairns Regional Council to secure the necessary statutory approvals to proceed with the surcharge of fill over the site to raise floor levels to achieve immunity in the event of a flood and also to proceed with the establishment of the new Materials Recovery Facility located over part of Waste St, Portsmith. Urban Sync completed a Material Change of Use and Operational Works application on behalf of Cairns Regional Council for the project.
The ‘new’ MRF represents a substantial improvement in delivery of Council’s waste strategy which is to decrease the amount of recyclable waste ending up in landfill and will be capable of processing up to 25,000 tonnes of recyclable materials per annum. The facility will initially service the Cairns LGA but may be suitable for accepting recyclable materials from the broader Far North Queensland Region for the next 10-15 years.
Our works included:
- Coordinating efforts with Council from inception through to the receipt of a suitable Decision Notice from the Council;
- Working closely with Capital Projects Delivery to coordinate the various stages and be primary point of contact in relation to the “planning’ approvals required;
- Liaising with the State to ensure that both the surcharge of fill and the establishment and operation of the MRF would have no adverse impacts on the adjacent railway network;
- Formalising timing of project and preparing a delivery schedule; and
- Monthly reporting on costs during project construction.
Location: 37-51 Lyons Street, Portsmith
Project Type: Urban Sync completed a Material Change of Use and Operational Works application on behalf of Cairns Regional Council for the project.
Customer: Cairns Regional Council